Residency Requirement

Franciscan University of Steubenville requires that all full-time students who are candidates for an undergraduate degree must live in University housing while enrolled at Franciscan University of Steubenville unless they meet one or more of the following conditions:

  1. They reside with a parent or guardian in the immediate area
  2. They are at least age 21 prior to September 15 of a given academic year and have more than 88 credits
  3. They have reached age 22 prior to September 15 of a given academic year
Find Off-Campus Housing

Note: Franciscan University of Steubenville does not investigate, endorse, or guarantee the accuracy of any listing, referral, the quality of facility listed, or the listed individuals, companies, or firms. Franciscan University of Steubenville does not investigate, endorse or guarantee suitability of those users responding to the listings. Users of this service communicate and contract with each other individually and at their own risk. The Board, officers, agents and employees of Franciscan University of Steubenville shall not be liable for any actions occurring as a result of any arrangements made between users of this service, or for any errors or omissions made in compilation or print of the listings.

Off-campus housing rental listings are managed by


Students enter here

Landlords enter here

Renters Guide

The Renters Guide is intended to give you information and help you plan for your off campus living needs. Please refer to the following sections for specific information about living off campus:

Planning to live off campus

  • Define your basic needs and preferences. Do you want to rent your own place? Live with a family? Share an apartment with a friend?
  • How much rent can you afford?
    Be sure to include the following when figuring out your rental budget:

    • Housing: rent, renters insurance, furniture, utilities
    • Food: cooking your own meals at home, eating out
    • Transportation: car loan, bus fares, gas, insurance
    • Personal needs: toiletries, clothing, laundry
    • Entertainment: movies, events, magazine subscriptions
    • Travel: visiting family and friends
  • Do you have specific needs for housing features? Pets? Handicap access? Walking distance?
  • Prepare information that a prospective landlord might request on your rental application
    • Rental history: Current and past landlords
    • Employment history: Current and past employers
    • Credit information: Loans and credit cards
    • Financial information: Checking and savings accounts
  • Many utility companies will require deposits in order to begin utility service if you do not have a credit history. You may want to consult with a responsible friend or a parent on how to develop a strong credit rating.

Finding a place to rent

You can look for available apartments from the following sources:

I’ve found a place, now what?

Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Tenant

Occasionally, circumstances will come up between a landlord and tenant. It is important that you know and understand what your rights and responsibilities are as a tenant. A booklet entitled “A Guide to Living Off Campus” is available to you in the Student Life Office. This booklet contains information from the Ohio State Legal Services Association about tenant rights. You may also contact the Ohio State Legal Services Association directly at:

Ohio State Legal Services Association
406 Adam Street
Steubenville, OH 43952


Government Housing

The Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority provides housing to low income individuals on a first-come, first-served basis. Completion of an application is required to be considered for housing through the Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority. In addition, current campus residents who are applying to live in JMHA housing must fill out the appropriate paperwork with the Student Life Office in order to receive permission to live off campus.


All applicants must apply at the Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority Leasing Office. You can expect the following:

  • ALL Household members need to be present at the time the preliminary application is being completed.
  • All status paperwork from Franciscan University must be provided to JMHA at this time.
  • After the preliminary application is completed, processing will begin which involves collecting background information. You will be notified when this process is complete.
  • Once the process is complete, ALL Household members will need to return to the Leasing Office with Social Security cards, Birth Certificates, and verification of any income received. At this time, any remaining paperwork will be completed. You will be contacted when an appropriate size unit is available.

Changes in Household Composition

  • Any member moving out must submit a written notice to management, accompanied by the Head of household.

Adding on a Household Member

To add on a household member, the following steps must be followed or you will be in violation of your lease:

  • Head of household must notify JMHA Management in writing of their desire to add a new member to their household.
  • Head of household must make an appointment with JMHA Management in order to complete the required paperwork. The Head of household MUST accompany the applicant at this appointment. The applicant must bring their Social Security card, Birth Certificate, and verification of any income to the appointment.
  • Applicant will be notified when eligibility is determined.

The JMHA Office is located at the following address:

Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority
815 North Sixth Ave.
Steubenville, OH 43952
740-282-0994 Ext. 42 or 43